Self Employed Mortgages

Our Self Employed customers have a wide selection of options, depending on how the business has been formed, and how they pay themselves.
Mortgages for the Self-Employed are not necessarily more expensive, it just depends on which lenders are right for your individual circumstances.

Lenders are interested in your declared Net Profit figure, as shown either in your Business Accounts and/or your personal Tax Return.

Most Lenders will require a minimum of 2 full years of trading as a company, although we have some specialist lenders that will look at just 1 year of Business Accounts.

If your Net Profit is increasing each year, the majority of mortgage lenders will take an average of the last 2 or 3 years. If your Net Profit is reducing, lenders will typically take the last years Net Profit as the figure to calculate the amount you can borrow.

The rules are very similar to a Sole Trader, the Net Profit shown on the Business Accounts and/or your personal Tax Return – see the Sole Trader Tab for more details.

We will also need to know your % ownership within the partnership, typically it will be an equal share of the business, but we can only allocate your share of the profits to you.

As a Limited Company Director, we have a number of ways of assessing your income.

% of Net Profit
Your Shareholding will show your entitlement to the profit of the business – we have a few lenders that will use this, which can be a very favourable if you retain profit within the business.

Salary and Dividend
A more traditional means of assessment – simply the addition of the declared dividend and salary as shown both in the company accounts and your Personal Self Assessment – SA302

Net Profit
Some lenders will look at the level of Net Profit within the business, assuming the individual owns 100% of the business, or the ownership is between the applicants.

For most lenders you will need 2 full years’ trading, and Company Accounts will be needed for assessment. If company profitability is improving, then the lenders will look to use an average of the last few years. If the profit is reducing then lenders will want to know why performance is deteriorating, and will take the last years profit in isolation.

As a Contractor, you will typically work for one employer and whether you have formed a Separate Limited Company or you work on a Sole Trader basis, as well as the options listed above, we can use the ‘Contract’ value.

Typically a contract will be priced on a ‘Per Day’ or ‘Per Week’ basis – this will need to be very clearly stated in your contract, along with the term of the contract.

You also need a track record of contracting – this differs from each lender, but if you have had at least 1 contact and it has been renewed at least once, we have a good chance of it fitting with a suitable lender.


Common Questions

We get asked a lot of questions about income evidence and what is affordable. A selection of popular Q’s and A’s are below :

Unfortunately not – as a Self-Employed individual or company, a lender can only look at the historic performance of the company – so the last 2 or 3 years of your declared income (Tax Returns) or the Company Accounts.

If you are a Contractor, then the lender will want to see that you have at least 6 months’ work, and if there is an increase in the value of that contract, they will look to use that improvement where possible.

We have a number of specialist lenders that will consider cases where our client may only have 1 full year of Accounts – there will be an assessment of that individual, about their background and expertise, and previous employment.

If we have a Computer Technician that has been in the industry for 10 years, and has become ‘Self-Employed’ for the last 15 months in that same role, that is a situation some lenders will be willing to help with.

If that same person went into a completely different industry, that might be a different story!

But if you have just started your Self-Employment, then we will struggle to help you until we have some Historic performance to consider

As Sole Trader or Partnership have no legal requirement to publish accounts, so we could just use the Declared Income from your individual Tax Returns.

If you are a Company Director then we will need to have Company Accounts – typically your last 2 or 3 years’ of Reports.

It is good business practice to use an Accountant to ensure that you structure your business and how you reconcile your income and expenditure properly, so it is very rare we find anyone without an Accountant!

A common observation!

Your Bank Statements and your declared income can be very different amounts – the Bank Statements will also be showing ‘Current’ income and not your ‘Historic’ performance. For some Sole Trader firms the Personal Bank Account could be showing the ‘Turnover’ rather than ‘Profit’ if it has been used for trading purposes.

We would always recommend a separate bank account for your business and personal transactions.

Customers reviews

Contact Us

General Enquiry

Mobile / Home Number
  • Choose
  • First Time Buyer
  • Help To Buy
  • Homemover
  • Remortgage
  • Buy to Let
  • Equity Release
  • Insurance
  • Home Utilities
Please choose the closest match to your Mortgage Needs

Essex Home Finance Ltd is an Appointed Representative of Mortgage Intelligence Ltd which is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority under number 305330 in respect of mortgage, insurance and consumer credit mediation activities only.

Registered address: 1 High Street, Chelmsford, Essex, CM1 1BE.

Registered in England & Wales under number 10607263.

Your home may be repossessed if you do not keep up repayments on your mortgage.

We do not charge for Residential First Time Buyers, Residential Home Movers, Residential Remortgage, and all Product Transfers (Residential or Buy to Let).

There will be a fee for all Buy to Let Purchase and Buy to Let Remortgage cases. Typically our fee will be £149, payable on Offer. We will agree any fees with you before we proceed with your case.

There will be a fee for all Equity Release Mortgage cases. Typically our fee will be £695, payable on Offer. We will agree any fees with you before we proceed with your case.

We always aim to provide a high quality service to our customers. However, if you encounter any problems and we are unable to resolve them you can take your complaint to an independent Ombudsman. 

Our advice is covered under the Financial Ombudsman Service.  You may be able to submit a claim through the  EU Online Dispute Resolution Platform If you live outside the United Kingdom or if you prefer not to deal directly with the Financial Ombudsman Service.